Decorating the Christmas tree, singing Christmas carols, and reindeer in the yard; the holidays are in full swing. It is that time of year and tis the season for holiday parties. Frankly, Christmas is my favorite time of year, but along with the holiday season comes lots of holiday parties.
We would all like to avoid that holiday weight gain and be kind to our kidneys, but how can that happen when you have holiday parties full of egg nog, cheese trays, meatballs, and cookies? I have provided you with some tips to avoid the holiday pounds and be mindful of sodium while still enjoying the holiday season.
- Avoid buffets. It is the highway to the danger zone. Try to snack on something light before the party begins.
- Eat like a rabbit. Remember the focus of the DASH diet is on vegetables and fruits.
- Go for the “Food Free Zone.” Enjoy this time to talk with current friends and make new friends.
- Woah, slow down! SAVOR the flavor. Try and take as long to eat your food as it took to for your host to prepare it.
- Don’t drink your calories. Watch the “festive” drinks, these are often loaded with sugar and calories. Drink a glass of water between each alcoholic drink to limit over indulging. Sip that cocktail slowly!
- Don’t skip meals! It may seem like a great idea to forgo breakfast to indulge in party fare later, but think again! This can slow your metabolism. By skipping meals, you will be starving by the time the party rolls around and more likely to consume more calories.
- Don’t load up on food you aren’t that interested in. Avoid anything that is not a treat for you.
- CELEBRATE! Remember the season that you are in and enjoy the food, the guests, the sights and the sounds.
Happy holiday partying and next time, let’s continue our theme of eating low sodium and kidney friendly even on Christmas.