When you think finger foods, do you have variations of chicken fingers and french-fries from the kids menu in your head? Prepare your taste buds and put away the silverware, there are some healthy finger foods that just may have you claiming TGIF “Finger Food Friday.”
Not everything that can be enjoyed as a meal or with your fingers needs to be deep fried or covered in a beige batter. Think about the colorful vegetable platters that could be a revelation in getting your family to have fun and partake of the range of colors on the platter. Easy-to-grab and sliceable veggies include cucumbers, peppers, grape tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, mushrooms, and squash. Add some yogurt-based tzatsiki dip, hummus, or low-fat dressing and dunk away!
Set the double-dipping and hand-washing food safety rules and bring on the napkins for a fun, delicious feast. Need some more finger food ideas? How about:
- mini kabobs, using toothpicks to thread grape tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese or thread an olive, roasted red pepper, and herbed goat cheese
- healthy olive oil over baguette slices, lightly baked in the oven; top with salsa, olive tapenade, or your favorite bruschetta recipe
- sweet or sour baby gherkins are not only adorably edible, but portion appropriate with no additional work
- tortilla shells filled with variations of black beans, hummus, and lightly shredded cheese then sliced in 1 ½ wheels ( or mix cream cheese and cocktail sauce, add shredded spinach and beets)
- large Romaine lettuce leaves as the shell for tacos– filling them with guacamole, black bean salsa, corn, sautéed vegetables or other fillings
- stuffed mushrooms capped with breadcrumbs, chopped herbs and a dash of cheese
- kale chips
- wedged sweet potatoes
- sushi rolls with brown rice, shredded carrots, marinated tofu or your favorite fillings.
- white bean dip, hummus, or fresh guacamole alongside triangles of whole wheat naan, pita bread, or toasted tortilla wraps
- celery with peanut butter and raisins
Dessert? No problem
- bananas sliced down the middle and enjoy a half spread with peanut butter and honey, topped with a sprinkle of granola for a sweet banana split
- apples sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon and raisins
- fruit pops you made earlier with blended fruit and yogurt
- strawberries dipped in dark chocolate
- 1 cup of popcorn sprinkled with cumin powder and lime, parmesan cheese or rosemary and thyme.